The Ubuntu Community
We are an international community with a mission to bring free software to the widest possible audience. Our name “Ubuntu” means “humanity towards others”. We embody this by welcoming anyone in our community and sharing our work freely. With millions of users and thousands of contributors all over the world, we help shape the future of computing.
Welcome! Whether you’re an (aspiring) artist, writer, software developer, or systems administrator, there are lots of ways to get involved! We would be thrilled to have a chat and guide you through this beautiful and inspiring community.
There are many ways you can participate in the Ubuntu community. If you can think of it, it might just be what we need. You can choose the level and interests that works for you.
- We invite all who use and contribute to Ubuntu and its numerous related projects to share their thoughts and help shape its future. Join in the conversation on the Ubuntu Discourse
- Take part in live communication with fellow community members in collaborative, interest-based rooms and spaces. Chat with our community on Matrix
- Our worldwide community is strengthened by a network of regional teams that advocate for the community and its mission. Find a Local Community (LoCo) near you.
- Share your technical know-how with others by answering questions on Ask Ubuntu, or the Ubuntu Forums.
- Those who demonstrate sustained contributions to our community have opportunities for recognition and leadership roles. Learn about Ubuntu Membership and our councils and teams.
Our project is large and diverse just like the community that empowers it. We rely on individuals with different skills, both technical and non, to build Ubuntu and its many components. We invite you to help shape Ubuntu to better meet your needs. Discover the many ways that you can contribute to Ubuntu.
To better understand how our large umbrella of communities operates, take a look at these resources.
- Members of the Ubuntu Community follow a simple set of core principles that help ensure our community stays healthy, stable and remains a place for collaboration and prosperity. Read the Ubuntu Code of Conduct
- The mission for Ubuntu is both social and economic. We believe that bringing free software to the widest audience will empower individuals and communities to innovate, experiment and grow. Learn the guiding tenets of the Ubuntu Mission
- Ubuntu, like other large communities, requires leadership and direction to help ensure its sustainability and longevity. Learning how all the interconnected bodies work together is important to understanding the Ubuntu way. Learn how they all work together to sustain our community
- Keep up to date with all the latest news and happenings from around the community with The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter and the Ubuntu Blog.
Are you instead stuck and need help? Take a look at how our community can support you.
Take a look at our Ubuntu Summit 2022 Aftermovie to get a sense of the atmosphere of our community.